Monday, December 26, 2005
Buggin Me..............
I am not too sure what it is this year, but I just am not that excited about the holidays. Actually it is a pretty interesting thought on this that which is where I once again stump you and your thoughts (possibly). See I have been thinking lately that there are many that celebrate Christmas. Some of those that celebrate it don't even believe in Christ let alone God, but they celebrate the occasion. So I turned to the Dictionary so that I had the correct definition of Christmas and this is what it says............. Christmas is from the Old English words Cristes moesse, 'the mass or festival of Christ'. The first celebration took place in Rome about the middle of the fourth century. The exact date of the Nativity is not known, but even in pre-Christian times the period from December 25 to January 6 — now known as "The Twelve Days of Christmas" — was considered a special time of year. The abbreviation Xmas, thought as sacrilegious by some, is entirely appropriate. The letter X (chi) is the first letter in the Greek word for Christ. I understand where we get the notion to give gifts to each other but why are we really celebrating this? Is it just so we can get gifts? Then there is the word holiday..........A religious feast day; a holy day. We set different days aside during the year to celebrate them and we call these holidays. We tend to get away from our words and the meaning behind them just to have a little time off of work or to get gifts. That shouldn't be what holidays or Christmas is all about. On a lighter note, since we haven't had our family Christmas yet, I think I might need to actually finish getting gifts. Now comes my next question....................are these gifts supposed to reflect Christ or something that we want?
No comments:
Post a Comment