Sunday, June 29, 2014

Reflections on the River

     Yesterday I had the chance to float on the river and just take in the sights with an amazing family. It got me thinking about the past five years and what a ride it has been. Five years ago this past week I crossed paths with an energetic twelve you old boy who within days of meeting me swore that he was coming home with me. The problem with this is that his family lived 10 hours away from where I do and that didn't seem possible or even like a good idea at all. I did however give him my phone number so that he could get in contact with me after camp.
      I really didn't think much of it when I gave it to him because I had done that in years past and had no response from others. This time it was different. Not only 45 minutes after leaving the camp, I was already getting messages from this teen. I have to admit that I didn't imagine that 5 years later, I would be spending time with him and his family. It is a tradition at this point to travel every year and spend a little time with them. During this journey, they have walked through the valleys and the the mountaintops. During some of it I have had the opportunity to walk with them. From celebrating birthdays, just hanging out, watching monster trucks break apart, to saying goodbye to loved ones, it has been a great ride. If ever I have learned anything, it would be from this individual.
      His heart has been, is, and always will be in the right place. The light that he shines on others is like no other. It is contagious for life and hope. This light is one that will never grow dim and even when it seems that he is in the dark, the darkness has nothing on him. I am proud not only to be a part of his village but somebody that he looks up to. If this is what has happened throughout the last 5 years, I can't wait to see what is in store for the next 5 years. He might not know the impact he has had on my life, but I can say that I have learned a lot. Next time you think a teenager can't teach an adult something think again.

No comments: