Monday, February 04, 2013
Stepping Back..........
I had the opportunity to attend a funeral recently as a friend of a family. It was really well organized and very touching. My reason for being there was to celebrate the life of a very influential woman with her family. I quickly realized (through the help of somebody else) that I needed to just step back and let them spend time together. In working in youth ministry, I have learned to be there for the students and support them in all that they do. I like being there for them too. I guess you can say I learned that from those who helped raise me. Well after a beautiful service, I wasn't sure just where we were headed. So I sat off to the side thinking I could get into the line of family and close friends that were going to the cemetery. I followed the line for a little while and then lost them. That is when I realized that I was supposed to get lost and just let them be. Let them spend time together as a family as they say their final goodbyes. Then I realized that sometimes we have to get lost in our journey in order for us to find ourselves. We let the daily activities in our lives consume us to where we lose site of what were are doing and who we are doing it for. I felt bad for ending up lost and not being there for this family but in the end everyone won. What are some things that you are battling through? Have you gotten lost in the situation so that you can find where it is you are supposed to be?