Friday, August 19, 2005
I'm Baaaaaaaack.............
I see that there are people who visited my site while I was gone but didn't leave any comments. That's alright, I forgive you!! :) So I would like to tell you an interesting story (with as much info as I can give). I got summonsed for Jury Duty and had to attend on Monday. It was a rather interesting time. The whole day I was wondering what I could say to get out of it and go back to my everyday life. As I sat in this big room filled with others that didn't want to be there and even some that did, waiting for the time to pass and hoping that my number wouldn't get called, I was told to go to lunch and be back at 1pm. I thought to myself, that is pretty cool. Then I realized that before they let us go, I was going to be in the next group of numbers that they called. So I went and enjoyed my lunch time and when I got back we sat there for about 10 minutes and sure enough, my number was called. Now I really started thinking, what can I do to get out of this. See, the only person that could excuse us was the judge. This one person decided the fate of this group of people. So this group of us followed the bailiff to the courtroom where we all went in and of course I was one of the first 13 people so that meant that I got to sit up in the Jury Box. At this time, the lawyers get to question us and either select us for the case or pretty much tell us to have a nice day. It seemed that no matter what I said, I couldn't mess it up for the life of me. So I saw people leave off of the panel and some that got to stay. Low and behold, I was selected as a Juror. I thought to myself, Great........... How am I going to explain this to everyone..................... Especially work? They had all told us what the case was about and I will be the first one to say that someone is innocent, especially when that person is sitting in the courtroom while they are asking you all these question to select a Jury. Anywho, we start the trail about this robbery that had happened and we are told that it will finish on Wednesday and that they will make it go as quickly as possible. So we finish about 4:30 on Monday and are told to come back tomorrow at 1pm. I thought to myself (yes, once again), That is cool, that means that I can go in and get some hours at work before I go to court. So when we get to the courtroom everything is going like planned and we start listening to the witnesses testify. I have mixed feelings but I still feel that the defendant is innocent. We are going along just fine when the Judge says, Thank you folks for sitting on this case but you are free to go. We didn't have a clue on what was going on. He then said, this is what we call a Mistrial and we thank you for your time. See, one of the witnesses said something the Judge had asked them not to say, and not only did he say the word, but he said it 3 different times. So we all collected our things and went our separate ways. I, myself went back to work and closed that way I could get as many hours in this week as possible. So I has a pretty interesting week to say the least. Now I look forward to the weekend and what it has to bring, even though it isn't a weekend to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment